Friday, July 22, 2016

Papers Everywhere!!

My colleagues can tell you that if organization were an Olympic sport I would win the gold medal every time. One of my biggest stresses as a teacher is when I can't find papers that have been graded and need to be handed out.  I have spent many sleepless nights trying to remember where I put that stack of papers that I know I graded only to find them days later in a stack that I didn't even know I had.  For years I had used binder clips and folders to hold graded papers, but with six different classes a day that was becoming an issue.  The more years I teach the more "stuff" I end up accumulating.

I was in Wal-Mart one day (that's all we have here) and saw these locker crates in all sorts of colors.  I had no idea what I would do with them, but as a teacher I had to have them.  So I bought four of them thinking I might store things in them.
Sterlite Locker Crate
For a while I used them for different things such as carrying my copies to my classroom from the copier. After about a month I realized that the top of the crate had a lip around the edge that looked like a place for hanging file folders.  I then decided to use the crates as mobile filing cabinets.  I did that for a while and realized I didn't need a place to keep more stuff (all the while I was fighting with all the papers on my desk).

I finally had a light bulb moment!!  I teach three different grades each day so I took a crate for each of my sixth, seventh, and eighth grade classes.  I bought these hanging file folders and labeled each one with each of my students' names.
 
I put all of my sixth grade students in one crate, seventh grade in another crate, and you guessed it...eight grade in the final crate.  I have two classes of each grade so I put one class in the front of the crate and the other class at the back of the crate.

I used this method last year for the entire school year and I loved it.  As soon as I graded a set of papers I immediately put the paper in the correct students folder.  I passed all graded papers back on Thursday during class.  That used to take up a lot of class time because I might have 5 papers for each student.  Using this method, I call up the students alphabetically and they come get what's in their folder.  This cut down at least 10 minutes of class time that I was spending handing out papers.  There is also less chaos from the students since they are not waiting for me to hand back 150 pieces of individual paper.  I have already labeled my folders for the start of the new school year and am looking forward to a less cluttered desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment